While we often have to remind men to „never skip a leg day“ during their exercise, women care a lot about having well-shaped legs. Can you imagine a simpler path to awesome legs and weight loss than mini stepper? I don't think so.
If you are a beginner and you decided to include a workout in your morning routine, you probably gave a lot of thought to which part of home fitness equipment to buy first. It is truly a tough choice.
I am here today to tell you more about previously mentioned mini steppers and help you decide if you should buy one. These beautiful little devices can do a lot for your shape. If you are determined to lose a few pounds, they can do even more, because they offer an excellent cardio workout.
The Best Mini Steppers on The Market – My 2017 Reviews
Here are the mini steppers I chose for you, enjoy!
1. Sunny Folding Climbing Stepper – Quiet but leaky
In this batch of mini steppers, this one is one of a kind. If you buy Sunny’s folding climbing stepper, you will get low impact cardiovascular workout that resembles mountain climbing. This means it will make you invest more energy in your daily exercise routine than other models would.
There are a few things that make this mini stepper so great. As first, it is much quieter than others, so you can use it without disturbing anyone. It offers wider motion range, and it comes with the handle bar for better balance. Also, it can be folded! Literally. You can store it in your closet, behind the doors, under the bed, wherever you have space.
Still, it has some problems too. If you are over 5’8” tall, skip this product. Otherwise, you might end up bumping your knees into the handle bar. The built-in computer which should tell you about your work progress doesn’t always work right, and the screen might be a little dim.
- It offers the wider motion range
- Handle bar is here for extra balance
- It mimics mountain climbing
- It can be folded for storing
- It is very quiet
- Fluid might leak from it
- You might bump your knees on the handle bar
- The computer works poorly
- The tension is not the same on both cylinders
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Twister Stepper – Sturdy but squeaky
If you want a mini stepper for your office, this Sunny Health & Fitness model is the right choice for you. It is small and lightweight. You won’t spend too much money on it, and you will get exactly what you wanted – sturdy, heavy-duty piece of equipment that will get you in shape.
This stepper comes with a built in computer that turns on when you start your workout and automatically shuts off once you finish. It will tell you your total count, time spent exercising, calories burned, and rep count. Pedals are magnificent, they are big enough for any feet, and there is no way you could slip off. There are also adjustable arm straps that will help you improve the shape of your upper body.
However, this stepper will start squeaking short after you start using it. It is loud which can be annoying. Also, if you are not a beginner – stay away from it, it is not made for people in shape.
- Heavy-duty steel construction
- It has a built-in computer
- Pedals are big enough and slip-resistant
- Adjustable arm straps offer excellent resistance
- The counter has an auto turn on/off option
- It squeaks
- The size of the steps is minimal
- Even the fastest option is still a little slow
- It overheats after 10-15 minutes of usage
3. Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands – Affordable but risky
This is another model from Sunny Health and Fitness Company, and it has similar characteristics as the previous one. You can get it for the excellent price, and it will offer you good cardio whether you are at home reading a book or at your office working.
This one also comes with a built-in computer, which counts your steps and offers various work out modes. You will also get two arm bands, which should help you tone your upper muscles as well. However, if you don’t want to use them, they can be easily detached. You can adjust the tension of your workout as you make progress, so you don’t get bored after a month or two.
Still, if you have more than 220lbs, look for another way to burn fat, because this machine won’t support you. As much as I can see, arms bands are made of cheap materials, and it is likely they will break after some time. Also, the computer is not accurate; it works on its own, unrelated to your workout, so you might want to consider other options.
- It is affordable
- Tension can be adjusted
- Arm resistance bands are optional
- It has a built-in computer
- It is portable
- The machine has a weight limit on 220lbs
- Arm straps are made of low-quality materials
- The counter is not accurate
- It will start squeaking
4. Sunny Twister Stepper with Handle Bar – Big and unreliable
This Sunny Health and Fitness model is a little different than the previous ones. If you struggle with keeping your balance, while using a mini-stepper, this is a good solution. For slightly more money, you will get the same machine but with the added handle bar that you can hold onto.
This machine is constructed from high-quality materials, and it is durable. You can assemble it without too much effort, and it won’t take too much space in your room. Of course, tension and steps height can be adjusted as you desire. It also comes with a built-in computer to help you track your progress.
However, the handle bar which you should be relying on for better balance is loose and wobbly so you cannot really count on it to keep you stable. If you want something to use in your office, while you are working, consider other options, because this one won’t fit under your office desk. At last, some of my friends had a problem with a tension cord, which just snapped after some time, so be aware of that.
- Heavy duty steel construction
- Handle bar offers you balance
- It is simple to assemble
- Storing it is easy
- Tension can be adjusted
- You cannot use it under the table
- The handle is not stable
- Tension cord might snap
- The built-in computer is unreliable
5. Sunny Health and Fitness Adjustable Twist Stepper – Beautiful but dangerous
This mini stepper is pink! I was delighted! If you decide to purchase it, you will get a machine with sturdy steel construction and twist action. This means you can move your legs not only up and down but side to side, to tone your glutes and thighs even more.
What I really liked about this one is that you can adjust not only the tension but the height of your steps too. This is a significant advantage in comparison to others. Pedals are spacious and slip resistant, so you won’t have problems with them, once you learn to maintain your balance. It is pretty straight forward and simple to set up, even without instructions.
However, don’t fall in love with its great looks. The time of usage is limited to only 10-15 minutes, and it starts squeaking after few workout sessions. The main problem is that it can cause pain in your knees. The type of movement it offers is somewhat unnatural, and repeated usage might cause problems.
- It comes in cool pink color!
- It offers twist action
- You can adjust the height of your steps
- Slip-resistant pedals
- Easy to set up
- You shouldn’t use it for more than 10-15 minutes
- It is loud and squeaky
- It might cause you knee problems
- The screen works poorly
Now, when you heard all of the pros and cons for each machine, we should try to answer your main question – should you buy one?
What is a Mini Stepper?
Let's take a few steps back.
As you have seen, mini steppers are portable versions of large stepping machines that you can use in your gym. They usually consist of two small pedals that move up and down; while some versions can have handles for balance or resistance bands for upper body work out.
Mini steppers give you the sense of climbing the stairs, and they help you move your muscles in that rhythm. This offers an excellent cardio exercise that burns fat. At the same time, it hits your calves, glutes, and thighs, which is a great combo for someone who desires perfect legs.
The Benefits of Mini Stepper
You've seen the products, but you are still not convinced if you should buy one. Then keep reading, because I'll be talking about things that mini steppers have to offer. Of course, it is not for everyone, and it is always best to think of your fitness goals before buying any piece of equipment. You cannot expect from stepper to offer you some huge upper body muscles, or something like that. Well, let’s see:
1. Fat Burning
It is known that regular cardio can improve your general and cardiovascular health, Exercise lowers your blood pressure, and that way protects your heart. But most important thing for anyone who wants a good figure is that mini steppers offer cardio work out which burns calories more than weight training. Also, you will lose more pounds using your stepper than just walking. You will feel better, sleep better and love yourself more.
You can read more on how to lose weight while using a mini stepper, here.
2. Muscle Tonus
The mini stepper will help you gain strength and endurance in your glutes, calves, and hamstrings. It won’t do much for your upper body, but you can change this by getting some weights to lift while stepping.
However, keep in mind that this will work for you only if you are a beginner - if you already have strong muscles it won’t do much for you. Your motion range will be limited, and you won't be able to take very big steps, so it will not offer the same effects as a larger machine.
3. Workout at Work
You would like to start exercising, but you just don't have enough time for it. Sounds familiar?
Well, using a mini stepper offers you the possibility to exercise at your job, while you are working. This piece of equipment is small and lightweight enough so you can carry it with you, place it under your desk, and workout while sitting. It may seem odd, but it is in fact great.
For one hour of using mini stepper in your office, you can burn 100 calories. If you decide to be committed and use it for two hours a day, you could lose up to 40 pounds a year.
What to Look for When Buying a Mini Stepper?
Before the purchase of a mini-stepper, you should consider its essential qualities:
- Size matters – Go with the stepper that is lightweight and portable. They are all small, but their size still varies a little bit. So, look for the one that can fit under your office desk or anywhere in your home.
- Solid materials – Pedals will probably be plastic, and that is okay, but the rest of mini stepper is what counts. You want it to be made of sturdy, solid materials - steel, composite alloy, any kind of metal. Just make sure that your mini stepper doesn’t contain much plastic, except for the pedals.
- Comfortable pedals – If you have a chance, try out the mini stepper before buying it. The pedals should be big enough for your feet, and they shouldn't be slippery at all.
- Nice and quiet – There is no way to test if your future mini stepper will be noisy because they usually become so with prolonged use. Make sure to read other people's reviews. Choose the stepper that is quiet so you wouldn’t disturb your roommates or colleagues.
- Progress tracking – High-quality mini steppers have a built in system that shows a number of steps were taken, the time you spent on the stepper, calories burned, distance walked and so on.
- Resistance – Remember, at a certain point, you will no longer be a beginner. Which means, you will want to proceed to more challenging workout routines. This is why it’s important to choose steppers that have adjustable resistance or tension.
I like hitting the gym much more than using mini steppers, but sometimes I just don’t have enough time, so I have to work with what I have. For that reason, I chose Sunny’s Folding Climbing Stepper.
I am a person who works out regularly, so all of the other mini steppers were too “easy to conquer” for me. What I liked about this one is that you can adjust it any way you like, and it is still really quiet. At last, I love imagining that I am somewhere in nature, climbing a mountain, feeling the cold breeze on my face.
Whichever product you choose, make sure that it fits your needs before purchasing. I hope you will be satisfied with your future fitness results.
Take care and stay active!